In late December 2020, WhatsApp rolled out the feature of voice and video calls on WhatsApp desktop app to beta users. The platform also ensures that all the calls made via the desktop app are encrypted and respect the user’s privacy.
WhatsApp has seen constant growth ever since its release, and recently, the platform surpassed Facebook Messenger to become the no.1 messenger app across the globe. The statistics show a massive difference of 700 million users on the platform. This proves how much people prefer WhatsApp over any other messaging platform.
Even with so much popularity, the platform lacks a few things, like the group voice and video calls on WhatsApp web platform. Currently, the mobile version of the app only allows you to make a video call with eight people at a time with lesser screen space. However, we are here with two methods that will help you to host voice and video calls on WhatsApp web.
As of now, WhatsApp messenger’s biggest rival is the Facebook Messenger app that lets you connect with 50 people at a time in case of both voice and video calls. Without further delay, jump into the article and learn how to make voice and video calls on WhatsApp web.
Effective Ways To Enable Video Calls On WhatsApp Web in 2021
Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can enable both voice and video calls on WhatsApp web:
Step 1: Create a WhatsApp Account
If you have a WhatsApp account, you are all set to make video calls on WhatsApp web platform but if you don’t have an account, create one by following the steps below:
- Install the messaging app on your device.
- Once installed, open the app and register using your valid phone number.
- After submitting the number, you will receive an OTP for verification purposes.
- Enter the OTP and get verified.
- The last step is to enter your name and a profile picture to get started.
Step 2: Open WhatsApp Web On Your PC
The next step is to open the WhatsApp Web on your device’s browser. You can either enter WhatsApp web on the search tab to get started or click here https://web.whatsapp.com/.
Step 3: Link your Account
When you enter the link mentioned above, you will see a bar code appear on the screen. All you have to do is link your WhatsApp account on your device to your PC. Follow the steps below to connect your account.
If you have an Android Device:
- Open the app on your phone and click on the three dots present at the top right corner.
- After tapping on the three dots, find WhatsApp web in the list of options.
- Click on WhatsApp web to link your WhatsApp account to PC.
- Scan the barcode using your android device, and your account will be linked to your laptop or PC.
If you have an IOS Device:
- Open the app and click on Settings at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- After that, you will see a list of different options.
- Click on WhatsApp web from the list of options.
- On the next screen, you will find Link a Device option.
- Click on the option to scan the barcode and link your device to the PC.
Step 4: Create a Room
After linking your account, click on the three dots present at the top left corner. Here, you will be redirected to a list of options to select Create a Room.
Step 5: Log in using Facebook
Here, you will be prompted to use Facebook Messenger with a message that says Continue in Messenger. If you already have logged in with your Facebook account, you won’t be asked to log in again. But if you haven’t logged in, open https://www.facebook.com/ in the browser and log in with your ID. The next thing to do is select Create Room as XYZ, and you are all set to make video calls on WhatsApp web.
Step 6: Share Link With your Friends
The final step is to share the video call link with your family and friends you want to join. At this point, note that only you will be asked to log in using your Facebook account. If any of the participants do not have a Facebook account, they can also join the call. Here, you should note that the messaging app only hosts the calls and does not shift the call to the Facebook messenger app.
This is one way by which you will be able to make voice and video calls on WhatsApp web. There is one more way by which you can make video calls on this platform as well.
WhatsApp Video Call Using Desktop App
Another way of making WhatsApp video calls on a PC or laptop is through its desktop app. According to sources, the calling feature has been put on test within a small group of users, but here’s how you can become a part of that group. Follow the steps below to enable WhatsApp Calling on your device:
- The first and most crucial step is to install the desktop app on your device.
- Launch the app on your desktop and scan the barcode using the steps mentioned earlier.
- Find the calling icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- Tap on the icon to start a video or a voice call.
- Once initiated, you will see a new window appear on your screen with the person o call. You can resize the window as per your choice and continue to chat with other people in the background.
These are the tricks that you can use to enable voice and video calls on WhatsApp web. However, this social networking platform is yet to launch the official methods for video chatting on the web platforms. Until then, you can make use of these methods if you wish to video call a person through WhatsApp web.
Feature Image Credits: Ars Technica