Investing in a good quality leather bag comes with its fair share of pros and cons. It is a great investment for starters because it can last for years, but it requires a lot of maintenance. While buying a trendy handbag, the question, “How to clean leather bag” must have slipped out of your mouth a couple of times because there are hundreds of things you need to keep in mind while cleaning it.
From avoiding oil stains to keeping your leather bag away from direct contact with water and sun, there is a lot you need to learn. While following the care instructions that come with your leather bag can be a good thing, there are also a few other things that you can try to clean your leather bag. Without any more wait, let’s move ahead and learn more about these essential cleaning hacks for a well-maintained lifestyle.
How To Clean Leather Bag? 3 Quick Hacks To Bring Back The Shine!
Before you start to learn how to clean your designer leather bag, please note that it is not just necessary to clean the bag only when it gets stained. Good maintenance requires monthly cleaning of your leather bags and purses, so you can keep using them for a long time. Now, don’t start cleaning them every other day because, as you know, anything done in excess can also lead to damage. So, it is better to stick with the monthly cleaning routine and keep the required products handy.
1# Cleaning Leather Bag Using A Leather Soap!
- Leather soap
- Cotton swabs
- Cleaning cloth
- Metal polish
- Lint roller
- Linseed oil
- Leather conditioner or white vinegar
Steps To Follow While Using A Leather Soap To Clean Your Leather Bag:
- Before starting the cleaning process, make sure that you have taken out all the items present inside the bag.
- If the leather bag has a fabric lining, use a lint roller to capture dust particles and tiny crumbs.
- If there is no fabric lining, you can use a slightly damped cotton cloth to wipe the inside of the bag.
- Now, please take a good quality leather soap and a few drops of it to warm water.
- Take a clean white cotton cloth (avoid using colored cloth as they can transfer dye) and dip it into the mixture.
- Gently squeeze excess moisture from the cloth and gently wipe the outer surface of your bag with it.
- Once done with the above step, take a dry cotton cloth and buff the bag dry.
- After the buffing is done, you can use metal polish to clean the handles and the clasps of the bag.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it into the polish. Use the swab to clean the handles while avoiding the leather surface gently.
- You can finish the process by using a leather conditioner to keep your bag flexible and stain-resistant.
Making Leather Conditioner At Home!
If you can’t find a good quality conditioner or you don’t want to spend more money on it, you can always make one at home. Mix two parts of linseed oil with one part of white vinegar in a bowl. Take a clean cotton cloth and use it to gently rub the mixture over the surface of your leather bag. Please keep it for 15 minutes and then use a clean cloth to buff dry.
2# Cleaning A Leather Handbag With Cleaning Solution!
- Cleaning solution
- Protection cream
- Clean cotton cloth
Steps To Follow While Cleaning Your Leather Handbag Using A Cleaning Solution:
- Start by taking out all the items from the bag and then using a cleaning solution.
- Take a small amount of cleaning solution in your hands and gently massage it onto the surface of your bag.
- Massaging will create a foam that you can leave on the surface to dry for a few minutes.
- Now take a protective cream and apply it to the outer surface of your leather bag. Don’t forget to rub the handles and corners of the bag with the cream as well.
- Leave the cream to dry for ten minutes, and then take a dry cotton cloth in the white shade to buff dry the bag.
- If your leather bag is in a light shade or you still can’t remove the stain, you can follow the cleaning process one more time.
3# Cleaning Your Leather Purse With Homemade Cleaning Solution!
- Clean bowl
- Clean cotton cloth
- Spray bottle
- Dishwashing soap or baby soap
- Leather moisturizer
Making a Cleaning Solution At Home!
To make a cleaning solution at home, mix two parts of baby soap or dishwashing soap in a large bowl of water. Use a spatula or spoon to mix the solution well and then transfer the same into a spray bottle.
Steps To Follow While Cleaning A Leather Purse Using Homemade Solution:
- Take a mildly damp cotton cloth and use it to wipe your leather bag inside out gently.
- Now take the cleaning solution you just made and a cotton cloth. Spray a little solution to the cloth or over the surface of your bag and wipe it using the cloth.
- Keep rubbing your bag with the cotton cloth until all the stains are gone. Try to wipe the surface with gentle strokes while holding the bag with your other hand.
- Now use another cloth piece to remove the excess solution and buff dry the bag.
- If you aren’t in a hurry, leave your leather bag aside for 30 minutes.
- Now take some leather moisturizer and gently rub it over the leather bag using a clean cloth.
- At last, buff dries the bag to restore the texture and shine of the leather bag.
Once you get the hang of the cleaning tricks discussed above, you will realize that cleaning a leather bag is pretty simple. All you need to do is use safe products with your leather bag and use gentle hands while rubbing the surface.