If you happen to be one of those who loves to eat fruits or fruit salads, you’re certainly reading the correct article. If you happen to be a genuine fruit lover, you must be aware of the Dragon Fruit. Yes, this article will be all about the tropical exotic fruit. So, today in this article, we’ll tell you How To Cut A Dragon Fruit? And will give you all the necessary information about the fruit.
The Dragon Fruit might appear to be a little strange because of its exterior texture and bright color, but let us assure you, it is really tasty and simple to eat. The fruit is extremely delicious and mouth-watering and is filled with nutrients. It happens to be low in calories as well as low in sugar content and also can be a part of your Keto diet.
Now, without any further delay, let’s move forward and find out how to exactly cut a Dragon Fruit.
How To Cut A Dragon Fruit? Try Out These Tricks!
Before getting into the details on how to cut the Dragon Fruit, let us give you a little perspective about it. The Dragon Fruit is also known as Pitaya or Pithaya. It happens to be tropical fruit, as mentioned earlier, and grows on a tree of the same name, which looks quite like a Cactus, but only larger.
You’ll find three types of Dragon Fruits:
- White Dragon Fruit (Pink skin with white flesh)
- Red Dragon Fruit (Pink skin with red flesh)
- Yellow Dragon Fruit (Yellow skin with white flesh)
The Dragon Fruits are not exactly cheap, on the contrary, they are indeed a little expensive compared to the regular fruits that we usually eat. They mostly come from Latin America and certain parts of Asia.
Now that you have the necessary details about the fruit let us tell you how you can cut it before gorging on it. There are only a few ways to cut the Dragon Fruit. These are some ways to do it.
Method 1: Cut The Dragon Fruit In Half
- Take out your chopping board and place the fruit on it. The next thing you’ll be needing is a sharp knife. Leave the skin as it is, and cut it lengthwise. Take that sharp knife, and with a single cut, separate it into two halves. As you’re done cutting it, you’ll see its white edible inside, which is the fruit.
- You can use a spoon to scoop out the fruit from the skin. The edible portion happens to come out very easily without putting in any extra effort. Just as a piece of additional information, know that the Red Dragon fruit is the most uncommon type.
- Now, you can chop it off into cubes. Place both the halves on the chopping board and get rid of the skin, as it’s not required. The black seeds that you’ll notice on the white portions are edible. So, there is no need to remove it. The last part is where you eat the fruit. You can eat it raw, put it in a fruit salad or make a smoothie with it.
Method 2: Quarter The Dragon Fruit
- In this process, you need to cut the fruit into four equal parts and peel the skin off it. In order to peel the skin, hold the pieces of the dragon fruit at the opening and peel the skin just like you would peel a banana. Once the peeling is done, you’ll be left with the edible white portion. If you wish to peel the skin off before quartering it, you can do so. Both ways are fine.
- Quartering the dragon fruit means cutting it into four equal parts. Now, if you want, you can cut it into more pieces, feel free to do so. But if you do want four equal parts, we would suggest you cut the fruit vertically with a sharp knife. That way, you’ll be able to get the right size of the pieces.
- Now that you have your four equal pieces of the Dragon Fruit, it’s time you decide how you want to have it. You can chop the four pieces into smaller cubes if you wish to eat them raw or want to turn them into a fruit salad. You can use the small cubes to make a smoothie as well. Just toss them into the blender, and you’ll be good to go.
Method 3: Check The Dragon Fruit For Ripeness
- The best way to figure out if a Dragon Fruit is ready to be eaten is to check its bright pink skin, which is the exterior layer of the fruit. If you do not notice any black shade or dark spot on the fruit and only notice pink and green on them, you can be sure that it is ripe.
- If there is any confusion regarding the ripeness of the dragon fruit, then check its firmness. If it is not too mushy and soft, it’s okay to eat. If you notice a Dragon fruit green in color, be sure it is not ripe and give it some more time before cutting it.
- You will notice that the stem of a ripe Dragon Fruit will never break so easily, even after bending it. If the fruit seems a little spongy, like a kiwi, it’s at the right stage for eating. But remember, mushy dragon fruit will taste horrible.
- An unripe Dragon fruit feels pretty hard instead of soft and is still green in color. You can check the fruit every day by touching the skin. The day you notice it is soft and spongy, you can cut it and eat it.
Well, now you certainly know how to cut a Dragon Fruit in the best way possible. You can try the three different methods mentioned above to cut dragon fruit. We hope that you got all the necessary details regarding the exotic fruit. Let us know if you liked going through the article, and also, do not forget to share your valuable feedback if you think we missed out on something.