Instagram recently launched this ‘Hide Likes’ feature, which enables you to hide the no. of likes on your post. But how to hide likes on Instagram, and why is that even an option? Well, here’s what we know!
Every now and then, we seek validation from the internet, several other Instagram users, or our near and dear ones. But we don’t realize when we cross that thin line between validation and obsession. So, to settle things down and move people away from this internet obsession with likes, Instagram came with a user-friendly open to hide the number of likes that a particular post can get. This means that instead of the default number of likes and people who have liked column, you will see a person’s name ‘others’ instead of the numerical value.
Hiding likes on Instagram is a very hassle-free and easy process. Also, it is reversible, so can go back to the default settings whenever you like. To know more about this ‘hide like’ feature, read the article till the end.
Follow These Steps To Know How To Hide Likes On Instagram!
You are totally wrong if you think that your Instagram ranking will be affected after hiding your likes. Hiding or showing your likes won’t affect your Instagram ranking, your musical Instagram stories, and your account in any way. The Instagram algorithm will still rank your account according to your preferences. Another way to boost your ranking is to add relevant hashtags to your content.
So if you think that that one superfan of yours is going to disappear in the dark, you are totally wrong. He will see your content on his feed because your personal feed is always customized according to the content you watch and interact with. Also, one of the main reasons behind Instagram hiding it’s ‘like’ is related to ‘mental health issues,’ as stated by Instagram itself.
So, keep reading if you want to know more about it.
- First things first, log in to your Instagram account and click the three lines on the upper right corner of your homepage.
- Then, click Settings, which will appear at the top of the menu.
- Now, from the settings menu, you need to click Privacy, then Posts.
- At the top of the Post menu, you will see a toggle in the Likes and Views section.
- Click on the Hide Like and View Counts. Turn the toggle On (it should appear blue now), and tada, you have successfully managed to turn your likes and views off from your Instagram profile.
- Also, you can also hide the likes and views before your post goes live. A dialog box appears just before you hit ‘Post,’ which disables the likes and views on a new post.
- To turn off likes and views for something you have already posted, you need to tap the three dots on the top right corner of the post. After clicking, you will see a new set of options. Click on the ‘Hide Likes and Views’ and voila! you’re done.
According to Instagram itself, the feature was rolled out to ‘depressurize people’s experience’ from the app. According to research carried out in Brazil, people, especially teenagers based their worth on the number of likes and views they got online. The attention they got online directly affected their mental health in a person.
In another study, it was pointed out that 43% of teenagers had deleted their pictures and videos because of the lack of likes and views. Some people might have made well-earning careers from Instagram, but the internet still remains a very unfriendly place. Whether you’re a heartthrob fashion influencer or just a little ghost stalking all your friends, the likes and views on your posts could seriously target your mental health in a bad way.
So, this step toward a better future and mental by Instagram is a small step that the app has taken in order to make this world a better place. We hope our article has answered all of your lingering questions. But if you still got any, feel free to comment and share your views.