It’s hard to go even five minutes without opening Instagram twice. All those memes, reels, aesthetic posts, and more make Instagram an un-put-downable app. This is probably why people can spend hours scrolling through Instagram. But both you and I know how harmful it is to spend that kind of time on social media, and it’s absolutely necessary to take a step back from the app. Knowing how to limit Instagram on iPhone will make it easier for you to do so.
Since this article is going to be about some smart ways that you can use to control your time on Instagram, make sure that you don’t skip any section of this article.
Table of Contents
Here’s How To Limit Instagram On iPhone | 4 Ways To Prevent Using Instagram For Hours!
As mentioned above, there are a variety of ways you can use to control how long you spend on Instagram. For example, you can go to the “Your Activity” section on Instagram and set a daily time limit from there. You can modify the screen time settings on your iPhone itself and add a limit for Instagram. Since Instagram’s notifications can be particularly distracting, you can turn them off. If you’re a parent, you can use parenting tools to limit time on your kid’s account.
All of these methods do sound promising, right? Well, they are. People who make use of them do report having their Instagram usage time decreased. If you want to achieve similar results, you need to learn how to limit Instagram on iPhone in a bit more detail, so keep scrolling.
Set Limit Using “Your Activity” Feature
The first way you can control the amount of time you spend on Instagram is by using the built-in Time Spent feature that the app offers. If you want to know how to limit Instagram on iPhone using the “Your Activity” feature, follow these steps:
- Go to the Instagram app on your device.
- Next, open the profile section of your account by tapping on the profile icon located at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- When the profile page opens, tap on the three-line icon located at the top right of the screen.
- From the menu that will now appear on the screen, choose the “Your Activity” option.
- In the “Your Activity” section, you will have the “Time Spent” option. Tap on it.
- You will now have some data on how much time you spend on Instagram. Locate and tap on the “Set daily time limit” option on the screen. It will be present under the “Manage your time” heading.
- Next, a menu will open on the screen. Select how long you want to spend on Instagram from here. You can choose anywhere between 15 minutes to 8 hours.
- Once the set time is up, you will not be able to use Instagram until the next day,
- Plus, you’re not going to receive any push notifications. But you will get to see new notifications as soon as you open Instagram again.
And it’s done! You’ve now set a time limit on Instagram!
Set Limit Using Screen Time
Apart from using Instagram’s “Your Activity” feature, you can also use your iPhone’s built-in screen time settings to control how long you spend on the app. Just as was the case above, the app will be locked once the set time is over. So, if you want to know how to limit Instagram on iPhone using the screen time feature, follow these instructions:
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Locate the Screen Time option and tap on it.
- From the Screen Time section, select the add limit option is going to be present.
- Next, the Add Limits page will open. Here, you will have the “Add Limit” option present in blue at the top right corner of the screen. Tap on it.
- You will now be presented with a list of the apps and websites you use the most. These apps are also going to be segregated on the basis of categories. For example, Instagram will be present under the social category.
- You can select the social category if you want. Doing this will set a limit on not just Instagram but other social media platforms as well.
- Or, you can just choose Instagram by going to the “All Apps & Categories” option from the list.
- Now, you need to set the time you will be allowed to use Instagram.
- You also have the option to only select particular days and time periods for setting a limit. To do this, select the “Customize Days” option.
- After you’ve set a time period, tap on the “Add” option present in blue at the top right corner of the screen.
And that’s it! You have now set a limit for Instagram! Once you’ve reached the time limit, the Instagram app is going to be blocked on your iPhone until the next day!
Set Limit By Turning Off Instagram Notifications
One of the main reasons why you may be spending a lot of time on Instagram is because of the constant notifications that you keep receiving from the app. And maybe if you just turn off these notifications altogether, then the number of times you open the app for a quick check can decrease.
Turning off Instagram notifications along with setting a time limit can work wonders in limiting your Instagram usage. However, you can just choose to turn off notifications as well. So, if you want to know how to limit Instagram on iPhone by pausing notifications, follow these steps:
- Launch the Instagram app on your device.
- Go to the profile page of your account.
- There, you will have the hamburger icon located at the top right corner of the page. Tap on it.
- A menu will appear on the screen upon tapping on the hamburger icon. Select the “Settings and privacy” option from it.
- When the Settings and Privacy page opens, tap on the Notifications option present under the “How you use Instagram” heading.
- In the Notifications option, toggle the “Pause Notifications” option.
And that’s it! From now on, you will not be receiving any notifications from Instagram!
Use Parenting Tools To Limit Instagram Time On Your Kid’s Account
If you’re a parent concerned about the amount of time your kid spends on social media, you have the option to use parenting tools to limit it. Instagram itself offers you some parental controls that make the job possible for you.
So, if you’re wondering how to limit Instagram on iPhone for your kids’ well-being, then make use of Instagram’s built-in feature, then you will have to set up supervision by going to the family center present in the Settings and Privacy section of your account. However, with Supervision, apart from the time spent, several other aspects of your kid’s account are going to be monitored as well. And in case you or your child aren’t comfortable with that, you can use other parenting tools.
Apart from Instagram, there are several other sites and tools you can use to limit the time– only the time— your kid spends on social media platforms on Instagram. Some of these tools are paid, some are free. However, the paid versions offer more features and work better in regulating and monitoring the time spent on the app.
Here’s How To Limit Instagram On Android | Methods To Prevent Over-Usage Of Instagram!
By now, you already know how to limit Instagram on iPhone. And even though you’re an Android user, you can make use of some options to limit how long you spend on Instagram or any other social media platform. You can use some of the above-mentioned methods as well. For example, you can pause notifications, set a limit using the Instagram app itself, and use parental controls.
But, apart from that, you can also make use of third-party tools to limit the time you spend. Once the time you have set it up, these apps will effectively block Instagram for the rest of the day. In case you need something stronger, you can uninstall Instagram altogether and only use it on your web browser for a limited period of time.
If you want to know how to limit Instagram on Android using all these methods, keep scrolling.
Use Third-Party Tools To Limit Instagram Time
There are various third-party apps available on the Google Play Store that you can download on your Android device to limit your Instagram time. For example, AppBlock, AppDeyox, ClearLock, RescueTime, etc.
The way these apps work is simple. You install an app, grant it the necessary permissions, set a time limit for Instagram, and you are done. Once the limit is reached, the app is going to block Instagram by itself until the next day.
Some of these third-party apps even come with a lock! This means that once you’ve set a time limit, you can’t open the app and modify it. This is done to prevent people from changing their time limit when they feel tempted to use Instagram for longer.
Uninstall The App On Your Android Device
If using an app blocker doesn’t work, then I guess it will be better for you to uninstall Instagram for some time. Here’s how you can do this:
- Locate the Instagram app on your phone.
- Press and hold the Instagram app.
- A small menu will appear. Select the Uninstall option from it.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear on the screen. Choose “Uninstall” one more time. And, done!
4 Reasons Why You Can’t Limit Instagram On iPhone
Till this point, you’ve learned how to limit Instagram on iPhone and Android. But, it’s possible that you may not be able to follow the above-mentioned methods actually to limit your time on the app. There are various reasons why this may happen. Some of them are discussed below. Once you know the reason, you will be able to solve the problem accordingly and go on to limit your time on Instagram.
If you can’t make use of the above-mentioned methods to limit time, then it can be because you’re using an outdated version of Instagram. So, go to the App Store and download pending updates for Instagram, if any.
If you’re trying to use a third-party tool to set a time limit for Instagram, it is possible that the tool isn’t compatible with your Instagram app. So, stop using the tool you’re using, and maybe then the problem will be resolved.
It is possible that you’ve set up parental controls on your device. And this is why you’re unable to set a time limit or modify it. So, go to the Settings and Privacy section of your account and disable the parental controls setting from there. Once this is done, you’ll be able to set a suitable time limit for yourself.
It is also possible that your Instagram app is currently experiencing a glitch, because of which you can’t set a time limit. Wait for some time or uninstall and reinstall the app to solve the glitch. Once this is done, you will be able to access the setting like normal.
Okay, everyone! That was it for today’s post. We’ve reached the bottom of it, and so I hope you’ve understood how to limit Instagram on iPhone in great detail. In this article, I walked you guys through all the methods and steps you can follow to control the amount of time you spend on Instagram using both an Android and an iPhone. Apart from that, I also discussed some reasons why you may be unable to set a limit and how to resolve the problem.
So, I hope you find this article insightful and that you’ll be able to take the necessary steps to prevent the over-usage of Instagram. In case you know someone who will benefit from learning how to limit Instagram on iPhone as well, please share this article with them.
How long does the Instagram limit last?
Instagram limits are basically temporary restrictions, and they usually last only for up to 24 hours. However, this duration can vary depending on how frequently you receive warning messages from Instagram.
How do you check screen time on Instagram?
If you want to check how long you use Instagram, then go to the Your Activity section of your profile. Data related to your daily and average usage will be present on the screen.
Does Instagram have a time limit for videos?
Instagram videos can be anywhere between 3 seconds and 60 minutes long.
Why is Instagram limiting my time?
There are various reasons why Instagram may be limiting your time. For example, the app may be suspecting that you’re a bot or a spammer. Next, you may be posting content that goes against Instagram’s community guidelines.