For many parts of the world, January means cold, unless you’re below the tropics or live in Australia. If it doesn’t snow where you are, and you want to make snow indoors without going outside, don’t worry, I got you.
I will guide you through how to make fake snow at home in the easiest ways possible.
If you’re too lazy to get crazy in the snow outside or want to revamp the decor of your house to match a more wintery theme, this will work for you as well. If you’re in the creative space and do product photography, you can use it for the background of your product shots as well.
The things you need aren’t that hard to get hold of either. These are basic supplies you probably have lying around in your house. If you don’t have these things available at home, they are just a short Walmart trip away.
Also, Read | How To Travel During Winter? Amazing Travel Tips!
Make Fake Snow At Home Within Minutes | Use Household Items To Make Things Easy!
If you feel building a snowman is just for the outdoors then these two-ingredient fake snow recipes will surprise you! It’s simple, it’s easy and it’s fun, and who doesn’t love fun things to do at home. Let’s get right into it then.
Method 1: How To Make Fake Snow At Home With Cornflour and Baking Soda?
Things You Will Need – 1 large bowl or a container, a half kg bag of cornflour, a half kg bag of baking soda, water as required.
Process To Make Fake Snow At Home With Cornflour And Baking Soda
- First things first, get a bowl in which you will mix everything. The bigger, the better, so everything can get evenly mixed without creating a mess everywhere else.
- Start with adding cornflour and the baking soda into the bowl in a ratio of 1:1. Anything around 200-300 gms of each should be enough to start.
- Now, remember, both ingredients need to be in the correct ratio, that is 1:1.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of both based on how much fake snow you want to make, but the ratio remains the same.
- After mixing the dry ingredients, add water to the mixture. Use a dropper or a small spoon to add the water into the mixture gradually.
- Stop when you feel the mixture can hold its shape. You should feel it with your hands.
- And there you go, the snow is ready, and you are ready to make your snowman and sing, let it go!
Method 2: How To Make Fake Snow With Baking Soda and Shaving Cream?
Another good way to make fake snow at home is by combining shaving cream and baking soda.
Things You Will Need – 1 large bowl or a container, a half kg bag of baking soda, 1-2 shaving cream cans.
Process To Make Fake Snow With Baking Soda And Shaving Cream
- Get your bowl and add your baking soda to it. Measure out 350 gms approx. Add some shaving cream from the can into it.
- Note that it should be shaving foam and not gel. Otherwise, it won’t work.
- Keep on gradually adding the foam into the baking soda and mixing it. Knead it if required.
- Keep adding and mixing until you feel the consistency is right and the fake snow can hold its shape.
- It should be powdery and not stick to your hand.
- This method does not require any water.
- If you’ve chosen a good shaving cream, trust me, your snow is going to smell good.
- Since the shaving foam is canned, the pressure inside it makes it cold, which will make your snow cold to the touch. Talk about real fake snow.
Method 3: How To Make Fake Snow With Baking Soda And Hair Conditioner/Lotion?
The last method I will show you how to make fake snow at home is baking soda and a hair conditioner. Alternatively, you can use lotion as well.
Things You Will Need – 1 large bowl or a container, a half kg bag of baking soda, a bottle of hair conditioner.
Note: Use a white hair conditioner; otherwise, the snow will come out looking like the color of the conditioner you used.
Process To Make Fake Snow With Baking Soda And Hair Conditioner/Lotion
- Take your bowl and add a hair conditioner and baking soda in the ratio of 1:6. Say, for example, for a cup of hair conditioner, use 6 cups of baking soda.
- Mix until you get the desired consistency. It’s important to know what kind of hair conditioner you are using.
- Depending on the quality of the conditioner, the consistency of the fake snow may vary and produce varied results.
- Play around with the ratios until you get the desired feel of snow and something that holds its shape. Again, it should be crumbly and feel like snow to you.
- Using lotion is an alternative ingredient if you don’t have a hair conditioner available. The process remains the same.
What To Do With The Fake Snow You Made At Home? Storage & Throwing Away Ideas!
All of the above-mentioned ways to make fake snow at home will stay fresh for weeks, if not months. You can easily store it in the bowl you made the fake snow by covering it with a lid or a plastic wrap. If you’ve used it for decoration purposes and your fake snowmen start to crumble, then it’s time to make fresh snow.
Using lotions, conditioners, and shaving creams are some of the good ways to ensure that the fake snow smells nice and fresh.
If you don’t want to keep the fake stored anymore, you can throw it away. The mixture can easily be dumped in a bin, but I suggest a better way. Use it to clean your kitchen or bathroom sinks. Dump the mixture in your sink and let it sit for a while. Baking soda is a good cleaning agent and will make the sinks look nice and shiny.
So there you go, folks craft fake snow at home and get creative with it. Making it will not take more than 5-10 minutes of your time, and it’s cheap. If you’re a parent, it’s a fun little activity to do with your children. You can also use the snow to do cute photoshoots for your pets.