Everyone in this day and age wants to have more than one source of income. A solution to this problem is working delivery gigs like Instacart and Doordash. These websites offer employment to anyone and everyone to make a little bit of extra cash. So, Instacart vs Doordash, which one lets you make the most money? Let’s have a look!
For those who don’t already know, Instacart is a grocery delivery website. You can choose to get your groceries delivered right to your house through them. Alternatively, you also have the option for a personal shopper to do the shopping for you instead. You can then go to the grocery shop you chose and pick up the groceries yourself. Doordash, on the other hand, delivers restaurant-cooked meals and food directly to your house.
You can expect to make around $10-$25 as a full-service shopper on Instacart. On Doordash, you can also expect to earn an hourly wage of $12-$20. In a debate of Instacart vs Doordash, there is no clear winner or loser. Both companies pay somewhat equally to gig workers looking to make more money. Each website pays depending on a few factors, which can often fluctuate. Depending on those factors, you can decide which service you want to work with.
Both services have a similar onboarding process. Instacart delegates its background checking process to third-party services. Doordash has something similar too. Both services offer the flexibility to work as per your schedule so you are not time-bound. To understand which one is better in Instacart vs Doordash, let’s look at a few things objectively.
Instacart Vs Doordash | Are Both Of Them Worth It?
Depending on your personal situation and the need to make money, you can sit down and evaluate which of the two is better. Instacart operates in 5500+ cities across the whole United States and Canada. It means there are lots of opportunities no matter where you live. However, you should also consider other costs that come with it. A metro city will have more opportunities for Instacart but will also have added expenses like gas and travel.
Similarly, Doordash also works in a ton of different areas. A hustling area like LA will have more deliveries and higher-order values as compared to rural Kentucky. In the end, if you are looking to work with either of them, you need to consider these situations. Let’s break down these factors a little more comprehensively.
How Can You Get Hired? Instacart Vs Doordash
To start making money, you need to get hired at either of the services first. While Instacart offers great customer service like instant account deletion and Express Membership to its customers, where do the workers stand? To understand that, you need to know the hiring criteria for both services.
Hiring Criteria For Instacart
Instacart has two types of gig workers. The first is the Full-Service Shopper, and the second is the In-Store Shopper. Criteria to be hired for both of them are the same except for one major difference. To be a full-service shopper with Instacart, you need access to a vehicle and a valid driving license. You will be required to make deliveries as a full-service shopper, so this is mandatory. Besides this difference, the rest of the criteria for being hired remain the same.
- A person needs to be 18 or above to work with Instacart.
- If you are an immigrant you need to have a valid worker’s permit to work in the United States.
- A unique criterion to Instacart is that a worker should be able to lift at least 50 pounds of weight. This is because household items may run heavy sometimes. Instacart also levies ‘heavy fees’ to its customers for heavy objects in their orders. So you can If you are a driver, you need to have access to an Android phone running Android 5.0 or potentially make more money when your order batches have heavy objects.
- An iPhone 6s or above.
- Both full-service shoppers, as well as in-store shoppers, need to consent and qualify for a background check to work with Instacart. If you have a criminal history, but that’s the way in the past, Instacart can be lenient to that, but that depends on a case-by-case basis.
Hiring Criteria For Doordash –
Just like Instacart, Doordash has almost the same criteria for people to work with them. These are mentioned below.
- A person needs to be 18 or above to work with Doordash.
- You need to have a valid worker’s permit to work in the United States.
- You must consent to and qualify for a background check to work with Doordash.
- A person will also need to provide Doordash with their valid driver’s license and social security numbers.
- Since Doordash is delivery based only, you need a working vehicle and access to it at all times. In some cities, Doordash allows the use of bicycles, but that depends on a case-by-case basis.
Does Instacart Pay More Than Doordash? Instacart Vs Doordash
The whole point of a successful side gig is the ability to make good money. Instacart, as well as Doordash, have slightly different payment models. The payments vary depending on location and demand in some cases.
Payment On Instacart
Full-service shoppers on Instacart make wages depending on the kinds of deliveries they make. Instacart treats them as contractors, so payment depends on the deliveries. You also keep 100% of your tips as a full-service shopper. That has to be factored in while calculating the hourly wage.
As an in-store Instacart worker, you will be paid a fixed hourly wage. The hours are capped at 29 hours per week, and you can’t work more than that. This plays a massive role in deciding the kind of money you make. There is also no flexibility in working as your hours are fixed. Working as a full-service shopper makes much more sense.
Payments On Doordash –
Doordash pays a base fee per every delivery. They also let you keep 100% of the money you make in tips. Other factors that decide the money you make on Doordash are things like peak hours, distance traveled per delivery, and the order value. Ideally, the more of these things that you tick, the more money per order you will make.
We hope you have a clear understanding of where you stand in a debate between Instacart vs Doordash. There are no clear winners here. With fast cancellations on Doordash and even faster deliveries, customers love using the food delivery service. Similarly, with Instacart, the ease of use for customers means there are heavy demands. So you can choose either one or work with both at different times. Let us know if you have any other queries. We will try our best to help you out!