What Counts As A View On Instagram Videos? Instagram is one of the most popular apps available today, with roughly one billion monthly active users. In total, the app has 3.8 billion downloads, and the number of users is growing each year. Video is an integral part of the Instagram experience. Stories, live streams, direct messaging, and reels all offering a way to share and view videos through the app.
While the majority of posts on Instagram are images, a growing percentage of posts on the app are vids. The reason for such growth is that engagement rates on videos are much higher.
When you post it, either as a story or on your page, you can see how many views it gets. Instagram will always record the number of views, giving you a way to see how many people have interacted with your post.
Table of Contents
While looking at view counts can be a good way to measure the engagement rates of your post, it’s important to understand how each view is actually counted. For a video to get a view, it needs to be watched by a user for at least three seconds.
Whether you choose to buy Instagram live views or obtain them organically, views are counted in the same way: to complete the count, IG algorithm simply looks at which users watch for three seconds or more. Consequently, those that are skipped don’t count.
For reels, each time a user watches the video, it adds a new view. As a result, a user who lets the video loop or chooses to watch it again can add multiple views to the same one. Interestingly, you can also increase the view count of your video by watching it. Provided you watch for longer than three seconds, this will add a view to the count as normal.
Views are only counted through the official Instagram app. If your content is viewed on any other platform or through an embedded post on a website, it won’t gain a view. With a standard post on your page, you can tap the views to see who liked the post. With stories, you can see which users viewed the story as well as the total number of views.
Different Types Of Videos On Instagram
There are four main types of video that you can use on Instagram, each with its own unique characteristics. They are:
- Stories– Stories were inspired by Snapchat and allow users to upload short 15-second clips that disappear after 24 hours. Stories are for photos, too, and are either added from the device gallery or taken at the moment. Stories can be saved to highlights after expiring, which can be found on your account page. Stories may include elements such as polls and Q&A sessions. It’s also possible to share other users’ stories and to post direct links to a story, allowing you to promote another account or drive traffic to a site.
- Feed video– It was introduced in 2021 and allowed users to upload videos directly to their page. They are added in the same way as photos, either by taking them directly through the app or by uploading them from the photo gallery of the device. These vids can be up to 60 minutes long, allowing for much longer formats than other platforms.
- Reels– Reels is Instagram’s answer to TikTok, allowing users to upload short clips between 15 and 30 seconds long. Users can edit these clips using the Instagram app. For example, adding timed text, augmented reality filters, speed controls, and audio effects or music. Reels are recorded in portrait mode, and you upload them directly to the dedicated profile tab. They’ll also appear in the feed of followers and in the discover tab.
- Live video– These are live-streamed vids that appear on followers’ feeds. Starting a live broadcast is done by simply tapping the plus button to add new content and then choosing the live option. Livestream can last up to 4 hours and can be used for conferences, workshops, interviews, question and answer sessions, and much more. When starting a live broadcast, you’ll appear at the front of your followers’ stories bar, and it will show that you’re going live. Some followers will also receive notifications that you’ve gone live, which is a great way to boost the number of live viewers.
Improving Engagement For Videos On Instagram
Videos are the most powerful way to improve engagement on Instagram. The platform prioritizes video content over pictures, so it can be seen by more people. In addition, users are more likely to click on it to see what it is rather than a picture that they can already see. Statistics show that engagement for this type of content is around two times higher than for other types of content.
If you’re trying to increase your social media presence, using Instagram videos is one of the best ways to do it. However, there are further steps you should be taking to ensure that your videos are seen by as wide an audience as possible.
Here are some tips for improving your Instagram video content and helping you get as many views and as much engagement as possible:
- Consistency– When posting content, consistency is one of the most important things to consider. Video content is no different. Make sure you’re producing and uploading videos on a regular basis. When you produce consistent content, your followers are more likely to get into a habit of engaging with it regularly.
- Make Use Of All Formats– Instagram offers multiple different ways to share videos and engage with followers. Make sure you’re using all of them if you want to maximize the reach of your account. Different formats offer different opportunities. Reels and stories are for much shorter clips, while live and feed video posts are for longer ones.
- Gather Feedback– You can use the interactive features that Instagram offers to gain feedback from your followers. When posting stories, simply choose one of the polls, Q&A, or swipe meter features and add them to the video. You can now receive extra engagement from viewers, finding out their thoughts and opinions. Use this feedback to create more content that’s tailored to what your followers like to see.
- Collaborate– By collaborating with other brands or accounts, you can potentially double the reach of your posts. Mentioning another account in your posts can help to boost their engagement, and if you agree, they can also do the same for you. The people who follow the account of the person you tag in your video will also be able to view your content, helping you reach a wider audience.
So now you know how views are organized and counted on Instagram. With this in mind, you can find the corresponding strategies that will help you to boost your account and make it even more effective and popular. Just find what works for you, and you will succeed!